Vale Bevin Warren - 13/05/17 Aged 90



Bevin Warren

Departed this life on 13 May 2017 aged 90 years

The Maryborough hockey community is mourning the loss one of its Life Members.  Bevin Warren was bestowed with a Life Membership of the Maryborough & District Hockey Association in 1991, after having been presented with a Service Award in 1981.

Bevin’s involvement in Hockey in Maryborough commenced long before the move from Doon Villa to Woodstock Street, way back in the 1950’s.  Bevin started his hockey life with Wallaroos, and later as a long-time member of the Granville Hockey Club, played for many years. His wife Beverly also played hockey, so there was no contest as to what sport their children would play, although Bevin was also involved heavily in Rugby League as well.

The couple had three children, all talented hockey players, all represented Maryborough and Queensland, with Joy and Ian going on to represent Australia at various levels.  His granddaughter Lisa Eglington (nee Pamenter) also played for Australia, and was a member of the Hockeyroos.

Bevin was a foundation member of the MDHA Finance Committee and was involved in all aspects of the move to Woodstock Street in 1968.  This committee spent hundreds and hundreds of hours raising money to purchase the land that the hockey fields now stand on and the building of the iconic hockey hall.  Functions like dances, bingo and 250 clubs were regular social outings for the Maryborough hockey fraternity.  In addition to these functions, the committee held fund raising stalls at local events like Marykana (Cycling) at Tinana and the Maryborough Show at the old showgrounds.

Bevin was also in charge of the bar for the Core Cup end of season hockey carnival, until its demise the 1990s.  The success of Core Cup was often gauged not by the hockey or who won, but the number of 18 gallon kegs speared in one weekend (35 in 2 days may be the record).  It is certain that there are hundreds, if not thousands of players and supporters who would have some pretty amazing memories of those old Core Cup days, including the sawdust on the floor in the hall and hanging out the window watching games on field one.

After his retirement from the Queensland Fire Service, Bevin would be found at the MDHA fields along with John Hurley and Jim Wroe, assisting the groundsman with work that needed to be done.  Always willing to help out and never complaining about a bit of hard work.  Bevin was a member of the Grounds Committee for many years.

The MDHA, would like to extend its deepest sympathy to Ian, Jan and Joy and their families at Bevin’s passing.  He will be missed.

Rest in Peace Bevin